1/02/2001

"When Lugh was born from both order (the Tuatha de Danaan) and disorder (the Fomor), the world was already established." (Jean Markale, The Druids; p. 208)



Lugh is the light hero that was born of Tuatha (sky) and Fomorian(water). He is a hero that can perform all the tasks within the 3 realms without problem. In the beginning, there was conflict between order and disorder. The Tuatha came in and defeated the Fomor, sending them out beyond the sea. In time, the Tuathan king could no longer rule, due to a disfigurement, and disorder took the helm in the form of Balorís other son. After he broke down the Tuatha to the point of chaos, Lugh came onto the scene and was given the throne by Nuada for him to rule. During this rule, Lugh, being the balance between order and disorder, defeated his grandfather by killing him, and restoring balance to the two tribes. In a sense, he is the karmic force that balances our life between the ends of order and disorder. He is the plateau that we reach between each step, where we rest a bit before continuing on. Without disorder, man cannot move forward. Once an order is set, man must reach disorder before he settles into a ritual, which leads to stagnation. In history, there are times of peace and there are times of war. One must have both, in order to grow as a society just as one must have peace and war within oneís self, in order to grow as a person. In the above quote, Lugh is what brings about the world. His birth was created by the coming together of order and disorder, thus, creating the world. As with the story of Ireland, chaos must precede order. Once order organizes chaos, there is a pattern, which begins to fluctuate between the order and the disorder. From that point, one can begin to move, change, adapt, and grow.



In a later section, Markale discusses the naming of God. There is an all present force, that is made up by the gods. Each god has a name within that force yet, does not contribute to the naming of that force. By naming something, man has defined that something. By having a name, that thing is defined and delineated by the lines of that definition. As with people, when one isnít named, they create their own definition of themselves. With many names, a person shows many sides of them that can each have a definition that alludes to the whole, but is only part of that whole, which has no name. Iíve always thought of what it would be like to go through life without a name. I could be anything or anyone I wanted to be. Or, could I go through life as I do now, separating myself off into the multitude of facets that create all of me. Each individual part having a defining aspect and having a name for that aspect, but leading up to the whole that is me. I go through life with a name to what my body is. It is called Lara. My personality is called min Fearthuinn, it is what I am. I am created by all the gods, with little bits and pieces of them all bundled up into my body. I call my personality min Fearthuinn because it means ìthe soft rainî. As rain, I can go anywhere, I am fluid, I can change shapes when it becomes necessary for me to do so. I can mutate aspects of myself when their current form no longer meets the requirements set aside by my surroundings. The only reason we name things is so that we have a means of reference. In one of my language courses in college, we discussed exactly what language was. The written language, as one sees it in a dictionary, is just a bunch of symbols we use to refer to more symbols. Language is symbolic in every way. It is an abstract of the concrete, and the concrete of the abstract. When a person looks at a tree, and points to one, it defines one aspect of the tree. The tree is symbolic of the word and the word is symbolic of something abstract. When you look at the tree, what is it really? Or, when you see the word tree, what do you think of? Is it the concrete image you might see in a grove? What kind of tree is it? Oak, apple, etc? The concrete then becomes the abstract and symbolic of something deeper.